The Government Affairs Directors’ Institute (GAD Institute) is an annual professional development conference for state and local real estate association professionals who provide guidance to and work for associations in the areas of government affairs, political affairs, legislative or regulatory affairs, lobbying, advocacy, RPAC fundraising, campaigns, community outreach and/or all REALTOR® Party initiatives.
2023 GAD Institute
To assist with your travel planning, please note, the event will start at 9:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, July 18 with an Institute Welcome. GAD Institute sessions will conclude on Thursday, July 20 at 5:30pm EDT with GAD Night Out.
- When: July 18-20, 2023
- Where: Detroit, Michigan
- Hotel: The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit (currently, fully booked; see below for details)
- Cost: Hotel $219+ Taxes and Fees/night.
- 8:30am – 4:00pm Registration Open
- 9:00am – 9:30am New GAD Welcome
- 9:30am – 10:45am Professional Development Session I
- 10:45am – 11:45am Professional Development Session II
- 11:45pm – 1:00pm Lunch (boxed lunches complement of NAR’s Advocacy Group)
- 1:00pm – 1:30pm Institute Welcome
- 1:30pm – 4:15pm General Session I
- 6:00pm – 8:00pm Welcome Reception (location TBD)
- 8:30am – 4:00pm Registration Open
- 8:30am – 10:00am Continental Breakfast
- 9:00am – 9:15am Day 2 Welcome
- 9:15am – 12:00pm General Session II
- 12:00pm – 1:30pm Lunch Speaker
- 1:30pm – 4:00pm General Session III
- 5:30pm – 7:30pm President’s Reception (location TBD)
- 8:00am – 12:00pmInstitute Information Desk
- 8:00am – 9:00am Continental Breakfast
- 8:30am – 9:00am Day 3 Welcome
- 9:00am – 12:00pm General Session IV
- 12:00pm – 1:30pm GAD Institute Luncheon
- 1:30pm – 3:00pm General Session V
- 3:00pm – 3:30pm Institute Closing
- 5:30pm – 8:30pm GAD Night Out (sponsored)
Please note that due to an overwhelming interest in the Institute, our hotel block is sold out at the Westin. We are actively working to secure more rooms and will reach out to those who are registered and currently on a waitlist when those are available. Please make sure to reach out directly to Jenna Sopko at firstname.lastname@example.org so she can notify you directly once hotel rooms will be available to reserve. Thank you for your patience!
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
1114 Washington Boulevard
Detroit, Michigan 48226
- Hotel Room Rate: $219 + tax
- Cancellation Policy: Rooms must be canceled 48 hours prior to the day of arrival, without charge.
- Check-in: 4:00 PM; Check out: 12:00 PM
- Airport: Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) located at 21 miles from the hotel.
- Rail: Amtrak Detroit station, 11 West Baltimore Ave, Detroit, MI 48202 – 3 miles away from the hotel.
GADs Give Back
The state and local Government Affairs Directors are excited to give back to an impactful organization in Detroit this year: Coalition On Temporary Shelter (COTS.
For 40 years, COTS has been committed to serving the most vulnerable members of the Detroit community by providing emergency shelter, affordable housing and more. COTS provide housing to almost 1,000 people daily – 60% of which are children.
Be a part of GADs Give Back and support COTS at: https://bit.ly/GADsGiveBack_COTS2023
The 2023 GAD Institute is governed by these policies. They were developed in conjunction with federal/state/local laws, venue policies and NAR policies. Sources are listed for each policy, where possible.
The National Association of REALTORS® is committed to providing a safe, in-person event. We encourage attendees to take CDC recommendations and their individual circumstances into account when deciding about masks. Any attendee that wishes to wear a mask is encouraged and supported in that decision. All attendees and exhibitors will be asked to agree to the COVID-19 liability waiver during the registration process.
- Attendees may indicate their contact comfort level on their badge, and we ask that everyone respect each other’s contact comfort.
- If you have been exposed to COVID-19 within 14 days of the GAD Institute, do not attend the event.
- For more information please see the COVID-19 ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND LIABILITY WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS.
Detroit, the Motor City
Visit Detroit for information on city’s key attractions, culture, sports, nightlife, annual events and shopping.
Contact us at: GadInst@nar.realtor
GAD Institute – Future Dates
2024: July 16-18 in Spokane, WA
Photos from the 2022 GAD Institute are available here.